20.2.10

Scene On The Street - Goodness and it includes members of the opposite sex? Whoa there...



Julia wears a vintage coat and scarf, shoes from Office, top and tights from Topshop, a vintage skirt from the market, a bag that she traded online and glasses from Specsavers.

What a wonderful fake fur coat (and yes, I would still like it if it was real. Possibly better. Go ahead and growl at me if you're so inclined) That's one of those coats that stands out so much that your friends begin to think of it as being totally inseparable from you and when they see someone wearing a coat like it, even years later, it will make them wistful for you. (I still have that kind of association with olive green hoodies, but admittedly that says more about how much I used to stare at the boy who wore it than the merits of the hoodie itself...) While I'm admitting things, I have never worked out how to wear those designer-looking-print-silk-scarves (as modeled) I admire them on people who know how to wear them (and most importantly, what to wear them with. When they've got all those colours in them...) but I've never gone as far as buying one for fear that I would just stare in puzzlement at it whenever I then came across it... (different kind of staring)




Alanah wears a coat from River Island, a dress from H+M, a hat from Topshop and Doc Marten boots.

Gold buttons! Have you ever seen an item of clothing that was not significantly improved by those lovely, gleaming things? I doubt it. But moving on from my buttons crush, everything in this outfit works. This is exactly what I wanted to look like when I was wandering round in DMs and a trilby, aged 15, only of course I actually looked no where near this cute. And I wouldn't have had the taste to offset the different shades of green in that coat with a soft pale blue. I would have drowned out the colours by wearing it with something black. Which I probably bought from Camden. Because I was cool like that...




Josh wears a jacket from Topman, a jumper from the Salvation Army, Levis jeans, shoes bought on eBay and a vintage bag, hat and glasses

That's not very imaginative Jessica, your last two pictures have exactly the same background
- Well that what happens sometimes when you're walking through the mall/shopping centre (mall/shopping centre? annoyingly American/ugly clumsy phrase?) Josh was fairly disbelieving about my desire to photograph him, which presumably means not enough people have complimented him on his hat, or its excellent pairing with that green jumper (check out the great striped lines running down it, and the way that that tiny amount of light green picks up the whole outfit) Also, he is wearing a golden heart locket. On a piece of string. Any boy who is pulling off that look should be feeling pretty secure in their fashion confidence.



Joe wears a hat and over cardigan from Topman, under cardigan from American Apparel, a vintage shirts, jeans from Topshop, shoes fron Primark and a Mulberry bag.

Joe was less disbelieving about being asked to model, but then he was carrying a Mulberry bag. (No I didn't know that's what it was. I just thought it was a fantastic colour. WHICH IT IS) Wonderful hat - both dramatic and oh-so-sensible in this still-so-cold weather. My rabbit fur version of that hat started moulting and I'm still in mourning for it, as I like to imagine I looked like Jackie O in it (who knows...) More importantly, now my ears get cold. If any of you see a replica being sold will you please tell me? (although let's face it, if you see a hat that good you're going to buy it yourself. Unless you have an issue with fur in which case you're not going to encourage me to buy it either. Which basically just leaves me in the cold with frostbitten ears...)



Nicholas wears a vintage coat, shoes from Smiths and a hat from the Army and Navy Store.

"Are you sure this isn't some sort of of joke?" said Nicholas from far above me, in a wonderfully sonorous, good humoured voice. No, and once again (see last post) it's the beret that caught my eye. BERETS people. Our elders are leading the way. Also check out the lively combination of primary(ish) colours with the green scarf, orange tie, blue shirt and yellow... jacket? Could have been a disaster, but it's not, it looks lovely. Whoever is taught by this man, take style tips...


Sean wears... I didn't have time to ask, I needed to pay at the till. When he gets back to me, I'll get back to you...


I realise that this is not the reason why he was carrying it, but doesn't the... ok you've got me, I don't know what that case holds. What is violin shaped but smaller? This is not my area of expertise. Musos who are reading this please help me out... Anyway, doesn't the ' ' case just perfectly complete that outfit? If I was doing a shoot for those clothes then I would know, somehow, that something was missing, and that would be it... Moving on to the clothes themselves, I'm betting that's a Barbour. Lovely, olive green, oil-skin-look-to-it Barbour and he's put it with a dark green under jacket and a dark red scarf. Genius. Like a less garish version of a holly branch. And it's not just the colours, it's the textures, the combination of smoooth, waterproof coat with a soft, big knitted scarf. Rustic chic.


Flossie wears a dress from Topshop, a cardigan, tights and shoes from H+M, a bag from Miss Selfridge and Ray Ban glasses


I don't think Sean and Flossie know each other, but had they bumped into one another while shopping, they would have realised that they were dressed in his'n'hers shades of green. Which is rather adorable. I get nervous about floral print (it's like the silk scarfs, so many colours to have to take into account...) but Flossie is totally working it by wearing it with that dress (imagine if the dress was pink. Then it would be the green and black parts which stood out by contrast and that wouldn't have looked pretty at all) And yes (see last post) that is EXACTLY what the lens-less glasses my mother made me throw away looked like. Second sigh (I'm overly milking any potential sympathy you might have for me aren't I?)

Ok you all clearly went and listened to Charlie Fink song, cos it was so GLORIOUSLY sunny today. And the weather forecast said it was going to SNOW. So congratulations. You did that. All of you. And if you clap your hands then Tinkerbell will come back to life and generally all will be well and we shall have cake for tea. (Seriously Jess, could you be any more English? Quit yapping about the weather...)

You want more songs? Ok but this one doesn't do anything magic, it's just something I found while I was writing this post (or more specifically when I got distracted from writing and went off to read Vogue and they were raving about the singer's clothes. Frankly you have to be pretty dedicated to the art of distraction to wander off from what is, in itself, a massive distraction from actual work...) Who's heard of Marina and the Diamonds? Maybe I'm behind here and you'll all come up to me later and explain - in a well-meaning way - that you've been going to her gigs since, like, forever. But for those who haven't, I'd skip the first song. The rest are gorgeous.


Ok and she looks quite cool as well...

5 comments:

  1. Hello there Nicholas. Here is a man with effortless style. The coat and beret complement his aura of wisdom and intellect quite perfectly me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic use of colour in Flossie's photo. Who knew that Sainsbury's vegetable aisle could provide such an aesthetically pleasing backdrop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by Sean's violin case...is it possible that he's actually some member of Cambridge Maffia? Perhaps not so rustic after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that green mulberry bag. grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it might be a ukelele...

    ReplyDelete