17.2.10

Scene On The Street - The day before the first day of Spring



Florence
wears a vintage coat, a hand-me-down top, leather bag from a charity shop and leggings from H+M


And appropriately I met her while charity shopping by the Grafton Centre. There is something so luxurious about the combination of colours and textures on that coat. And tops-that-you-wear-like-dresses are the way forward. As are BOWS (see last post) with short hair. Which she had the guts to dye red (the hair, not the bow. Actually you got that didn't you?) I spent a long time when I was 16 wishing that my hair was a very light, fluffy shade of candyfloss pink. Never did it. Kudos to anyone who's ever taken the plunge (into a sink? Is that even how you do it? I think that's how they do it in the movies...)



Lindsey wears a hat from New Look, a scarf for H+M, socks from Sports Direct and shoes from Peacock


Yes I know that when you stop and think about it, she's probably just wearing a hat and scarf over her sports kit, but as I can never believe that anyone would voluntarily play games that I hid away in the nurse's office avoiding, that wasn't what first came to mind when I saw her. I just thought she looked really cool. And she does. Particularly the slightly over-sized jumper and the long white socks...



Jasmine wears a shirt from Topman, jeans from H+M and a scarf from a market


If you don't get the full sense of how well this 70s looks suited Jasmine's coltish figure, then blame my photography. Loving the big print, soft coloured checks.



Rhonda wears a jacket from Urban Outfitters, vintage skirt, scarf and boots and Ralph Lauren glasses

But where did the Rosetta flower come from?? I didn't think to ask. Great boots, jacket and general combining of different textures and soft colours. I wish I had her glasses. But I don't need glasses, the optician just told me I had perfect vision. And my mother made me throw away my big, geek-chic, lens-less glasses when I was 15. Sigh.



I don't know what she was wearing but her name was Sue and she spoke in a very soft voice and said she always looked a mess in photos. But what a wonderful red beret she has the sass to wear.



Emily (left) wears a jacket from Matalan, top and skirt from Miss Selfridge and a scarf from Accessorize. Aila (right) wears a coat from Topshop and a Gucci bag.

Emily became gigglingly embarrassed when I asked her where her clothes were from, but we all know that it's the outfit you put together that is Topshop and H+M etc from head to toe but doesn't look it that you always feel most proud of. Aila was "borrowing" that Gucci bag from her mother (sorry it's not more in the photo). Gold buttons on dark blue. Mmmmm. In fact, gold buttons on almost anything...



Oh Ede and Ravenscroft, I am sure that only the Rahest of the Rah can afford to buy your clothes, but I love your elegant and old fashioned shop windows so. And I really want your brogues. But it's fine, Office are doing knockoff high-heeled ones...



Emma
wears a coat from H+M


And god does she look effortlessly chic in it. I will say no more on her, I will just leave you to admire...

So I might have been jumping the gun a little with the whole "day before the first day of spring thing". Because now that miserable, spitting, sulky grey sky had returned, but YESTERDAY it really felt like spring had suddenly, gloriously, tumbled out of bed and put on her best clothes and promised to stay here making everything look wonderful and picturesque for ever and ever.

But it was all a lie. To console yourself go listen to Charlie Fink singing about The First Days of Spring. If we all listen to this song enough times, maybe spring will take the hint that we miss her and come running back to us with an armful of daises...

1 comment:

  1. Listening to the first days of spring may also make you cry as it isn't actually about spring but about a break-up.

    The whole album is based on his break-up with Laura Marling and is beautiful ( in my opinion) do listen!

    ReplyDelete