17.2.10

I'd almost forgot how strong you are, John Proctor




I don't CARE that it was described as The Matrix coat in brown, it is a GREAT coat. Think updated Sherlock Holmes (yes, Steam Punk Chic is amazing. No that doesn't mean I didn't die a little inside when I saw that they had turned that wonderfully enigmatic hero of my childhood into a series of slapstick one liners)






Stop feeling sorry for Eve and concentrate on how great her clothes are. That outfit is dorky but in a very cool, we're-on-the-side-of-the-cute-geeks in a 50s movie... Actually probably a movie set in the 50s as they hadn't got on to endlessly portraying high school tribes to such an extent back then... Anyway, teeny-tiny polka dots with knitted pink. Cute orange buttons with pink. Grey with pink. Somehow everything works.

Also there's a definite Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club vibe simultaneously going on here (notice the theme, films about teenage social segregation?) What's that? I am making that connection purely because of Eve's hair? No I am NOT. Molly wears a pink top and a long high-waisted skirt in the film. That's why.



Meanwhile, don't boys just ALWAYS look so good in three-quarter length black coats or jackets? That's why the baddies always wear them in films. So that we'll love them for their fashion sense if nothing else. Particularly loving Nick's Nehru collar. (YES. I looked up what it was called. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of collar names. I just knew it looked a little like traditional Indian jackets. So. Elegant.)




If I had hair short enough to get away with that bow in my hair, I would wear a bow in my hair ALL the time. Also Holly totally got the best dress. They're all cute, but red and white check wins every time.






Yes, yes, but he also looked very nice when he was IN the blue and white gingham shirt
(Scroll back up and check out how well James and Eve's clothes compliment each other when he's grabbing by the arms)






The Crucible

Costume Designer: Rachel Taylor


All I remembered from doing 'scenes from' The Crucible in drama when I was 13 was being made to play Tituba - yes, imagine how horrific that was for anyone listening to my accent - and how funny we had found the line "I'd forgotten how strong you are John Proctor", which we thought was the most hilarious come on we'd ever heard (having heard a lot, you know, at thirteen) and we used to draaawl it in a southern accent (but they were New England Pilgrims, they didn't have...blahblahblah. You try doing it. Add a "Ghaaawd" at the beginning. Yes, it's addictive...)

Point is, while I was expecting it to be good, I didn't expect to be crying while trying to take photographs in the last scene. Which is particularly impressive as I'm normally only listening to plays with half an ear when there's a camera in my hand...

But more importantly, weren't they WELL DRESSED? Way to go fifties. The comic value of traditional Pilgrim hats would have worn off long before Proctor and Abby had started reminiscing about sweating like stallions in the stables...

No comments:

Post a Comment