16.2.10

How it all began one autumn day...






Tom and I would like you to note the way that the blue stitching in the scarf brings out the colour of his eyes, does it not? (What do you mean you didn't notice the scarf had any blue stitching?? Click to enlarge. Pay attention to details. Philistines...)



That paisley shirt is the best thing in this shoot (other than Tom). Just. Jewel-like.



Tom wears: (in order of appearance) Paisley shirt by Sherry’s, Navy Jacket by Hurwundeki; Black Jacket by Cosmic Wonder Light Source 1, V-neck by Alexander McQueen, Jeans by Superfine; Shirt by Albam, Tie from Liberty, Jewellery by Mor; Hat from All Saints, Blue Jacket by Albam; Blue Jeans by Ona Saez Jeans; Vest from American Apparel, Vintage Paisley Shirt, Jewellery by Bark (try saying all that in one go...)
Stylist: Tom by Tom

Tom and I didn't really know each other but we'd agreed to do this shoot together. It was October, the sun was making Queen's woods a golden haze and I thought I was pretty cool rocking up to "do a photo shoot" with my little, faithful digital camera...

Tom: Oh. I was thinking maybe we could use this - points to a large and ominous black thing that I know serious photo people use, um, somehow.
Me: Sure. Whatever.... I quite like taking photographs with this one though - gesture to the little silver camera in my hand, which has started to develop Freudianesque insecurities about comparative size etc.
Tom: Ok but there are some particular sharp focus shots I had in mind...
Me: (thinking, wait, I thought I was the photographer, how did this all go so horribly wrong, why didn't I just stay at home watching clips from Gossip Girl?? Oh god just admit it..) Tom I have absolutely no idea how to use that camera.
Tom: (in a genuinely warm and friendly tone) Oh that's fine, I'll show you.

And he did. And I was a very frustrating pupil who ruined a lot of beautiful shots by failing to get the focus exactly right in that way that looks so exquisite when you manage it, but by the end of the afternoon I had been tutored enough for us to be getting down to the serious business of scrabbling into increasingly absurd positions amongst the leaves because we just 'had' to try and get that shot of Tom underneath the giant green leaf etc. And that was the day I discovered that photos could have depth (I know, I know, had I never LOOKED at a professional photo before? Well yes but there are somethings I've just never bothered to think through properly) and suddenly realised that doing this might actually - in the long run - be more rewarding than spending the rest of the term mouthing the words to Chuck and Blair's best scenes. So thank you Tom, the rest of these photos probably wouldn't be here without you.

P.S. "In a sunny spot stood a pleasant old farm-house close by a deep river, and from the house down to the water side grew great burdock leaves, so high, that under the tallest of them a little child could stand upright. The spot was as wild as the centre of a thick wood. In this snug retreat sat a duck on her nest..." - The beginning of Hans Christian Anderson's 'The Ugly Duckling'. This was why we 'had' to get photo with the giant leaf. Also it looks cool.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! And you have a nice, sort of digressive style.... I like. Keep em coming! x

    ReplyDelete