17.2.10

No it wasn't my idea to do this shoot. Yes I did already own (and had customised) all the dolls.



French Resistance Barbie - I have had that doll's coat since I was three. There are pictures. That probably makes it the longest serving item in 'my' wardrobe...



Yes Wool Is SO Back In Barbie
- I wouldn't know, it scratches my skin so I don't wear it. But stop and take a moment to consider that someone knitted that entire thing onto that doll (not me, I found her at a school fair. And I can't knit. Or sew. Can cook at little. If you like fry ups) The hat however is from those Innocent Smoothies they were selling in the winter. Simply WASTED on an over-priced sweet drink (buy a blender. Make real smoothies. I don't have one but I have drunk a lot of homemade smoothies and they are much better)



Henry James Heroine Barbie? Edith Wharton?
What? Ok fine. FINE. It is totally Blair About To And Go And Have A Devastatingly Barbed And Sexually Mesmerizing Exchange With Chuck At Yet Another 'Most Important Party Of The Social Season' In New York Barbie.

But you made me say it.



Sixties Barbie
- Rad. Nuff Said. (however, do notice the great low neckline...)

Vanna White, tv star of the 80s, is quoted as saying "I like dressing like a Barbie doll". For the record I have looked at her outfits online and none of my Barbies would dream of dressing like her. They would however LOVE to be dressed like this:





Yes that is Versace designing a red carpet corset dress for Barbie.



And you thought regular, everyday Barbie had sex appeal...


I would love to be able to tell you that the last four photographs are mine, but they come from a book that was being sold in the Plaza in New York for a mere $500 and it was HUGE and glossy and bright pink (but in a very sophisticated way you understand) and how lovely it would be to own it but WHY BOTHER spending that kind of loose change when you can take photos of the photos on your phone?

This is the kind of wily thinking that keeps Barbie (while perhaps not those who shameless try to financially profit from her) ahead of the game...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica, Im hoping that you would respond to this, but the last photo, the one with the lacey mask, which Barbie is this? Ive been trying to find it and cant. Ok, heres hoping.
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete